Monday, May 12, 2008

Some Guys Take A Knife To A Tree...

"...just to say hey I was here and in love
so here is my name plus the name of a girl
and the year in which this thing took place

when they see it they will know
even though we have the same names as so many others
that this was not just everyday
it was the first and only thing I thought to say

Please remember us
'cause I'm not the kind of guy to get a statue in my honor
now we're running out of ground
and I won't get a stone to say that I was here
so I will make my own memorial
right here on this tree

Some guys put some paint on a stone
on a road cut, on a highway
said Class of '88
and go bulldogs, go
let 'em beat that rival school
we are here, we are young, we are great
when they see it they will know
even though so many football players graduate
that this was not no gangster graffiti
it was so important that we had to paint

Please remember us
cause we're not the kinds of guys to get a statue in our honor
now we're running out of ground
and we won't get a stone to say that we were here
so we will make our own memorial
right here by this road

And I know that trees tend to grow
long after we are dead and cover what we carve
and the rain will mar the stones so that nobody will know
that the Class of '88 was really tough
but waves of sound never die
they just fade into the background and haunt us in our sleep
so we can sing, and dance, and laugh, and hope that this was enough

So don't remember me
I know I'm not the kind of guy to get a statue in my honor
I only wanted to be just another human being in my time, in my place
So I make my own memorials"

~Jon Crocker

Well. What an eventful weekend. Well. Kind of. Here's a summary.

FRIDAY: Work. Get home a bit past 10 and about two hours later get a call from Jon Crocker asking if he can come spend the night because apparently he hates Sylva and everyone in it. Of course, I say yes. The second I get off the phone with him, I get a message from my mom telling me that my great-grandpa has just passed away. Jon shows up a bit passed 3 and I go to sleep soon after.

SATURDAY: Wake up to a phone call from my mom. I'm supposed to be a pallbearer at 3:30. Eeep. Jon Crocker has a show in Blairsville at 2 and another in Hiawassee at 5. Well, about thirty or so people show up the the 2PM thing. We get outta there by a little past three. And I fly all the way to Hayesville, do the funeral stuff, which wasn't really sad until my uncle got up to say something. Jeez. "People say when an old person dies, a library is lost, and I think today we lost a full library of Appalachian history." Anyway, made it to the 5PM show right exactly on time. At first, only like 20 people were there, but by the time Jon Crocker got a few songs into his set there were probably about 45. And it was awesome. And I actually had a ton of fun. We wound up getting back to my house around 9:30, and I helped Jon get ready for his European tour which is coming up in about 3 weeks. Oh, and he gave me like 52 CDs. Well, he gave me like 40. I bought the other 12 (anyone want some Jon Crocker CDs? Only 4 or 5 bucks each. They're worth it. For real).

Oh! Something else about Saturday. I got a letter from the school saying I've missed too many days and am now losing credit in Economics. But uh. I haven't missed that many days? Three of my "absences" were for school related events (AP Test, practice AP test, Multimedia fieldtrip). So uhhh. I hope those get fixed soon so I don't have to go to that stupid meeting thingy on Friday.

SUNDAY: Went and had breakfast with my mom. Came back home for about 30 minutes and saw Jon Crocker off, then went off to work. Which sucked. To the max. YARGH! And now I'm here. Bored out of my mind. Not sleepy, but knowing that I should go to sleep. My bike is getting here tomorrow, but I'm working tomorrow. Which is weird. Because I pretty much never work Mondays. Double yargh.

One more week of school. Economics EOCT tomorrow, AP Language Wednesday, U-lympics Thursday?

The End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home