Friday, July 18, 2008

What Have We Done? Are We Making Any Changes Or Just Having Fun?

I love Mountain High Skate Park. I found out some stuff that I didn't know tonight about that place, and it makes me respect Shawn and his wife for running it even more than I already did. Basically, the skate park is nonprofit. Shawn and his wife both work "normal" jobs then come and open up the skate park when they get off. Shawn builds all of the ramps, rails, and other miscellaneous things himself. The only reason the skate park charges for anything is to meet their costs. And they said even when the costs stop being met, they're not closing because kids need something to do, and skateboarding is not a crime. Shawn also told me something tonight that made me think that maybe there's something more to these crazy shows I do than just me trying to get people to like the same music I do...He told me that the skate park probably wouldn't have made it through this past winter if it hadn't been for the shows I did there during that time. That is kind of a sense of accomplishment in community building, which is something I've been striving for over the past while. But anyway, enough babble about that. Shawn gave me a free pair of shoes tonight! They're usually 35 bucks, but he said he had a ton that he just needed to get rid of. They're really awesome. I traded him some music from my distro that I figured he'd like. Next time I'm up there I'm gonna slip some cash somewhere that I know he'll find it.

Basically, this whole blog is gonna be about Mountain High and stuff that's coming up there, so if you're already bored, you might as well turn back now.

Shows coming up at Mountain High:
Tuesday, July 22nd / 5:30PM -- The New Diet, Juffage, Straight No Chaser (acoustic afternoon show at Meeks, 2PM)
Saturday, July 26th / 5PM -- Yoni Gordon and the Goods, Others TBA
Monday, August 4th / 5PM -- Jonesin', Others TBA
Saturday, August 16th / all day! -- Mountain High One Year Party! Bands TBA. This is the Bye FOREVER! Fest substitute.

I'm also leaving my PA at the skate park while I'm at college so they can continue to do shows during the year. Woohoo!

Anyway, yea. If you get a chance, go support your local skate park / general hang out spot for teenagers whenever you can! Chances are, if I'm going, I can give you and two or three other people a ride there and back. Wooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home