Sunday, January 06, 2008

I Saw You Hanging Around the Corner...

"... I think you wrote something about it,
it was a metaphor.
it was something about an ice cream shop.
you remembered how your friends said you knew how to have fun,
so you went to their party,
and watched them all get drunk.

you went dancing at a show,
and you stayed out pretty late,
and you wrote a song about it,
and someone put it on a mix tape.
what they didn’t know was how hard you could take it,
your heart slowly eroded before you let them break it.

and the part of me that gets sad saw you,
feeling alone and was confused.
how you knew that you were loved,
but couldn’t find someone to love you.

you spent a week in California, and they said it made a difference.
your friend came down from Boston, just to see you off.
and that's what he said, and it was partially true.
he said, "would you write me a letter,"
you said, "that's the one thing that I can't do." (do do do do)

and I would love to get to know you. everybody seems to miss you."

--The Max Levine Ensemble

They say in the lyric booklet for their new CD, "OK, Smartypants," "Welcome to our record. Here you'll find a story about the heartbreak of living in a post-modern capitalist world and all the confusion that could possibly result. You'll find our protagonist alternating between first, second, and third person, and each time we read the word 'I' it can be safely read as 'you,' 'me,' someone you know, someone you don't, or someone who is entirely fiction. The same can be said about the words 'you,' 'me,' 'he,' 'she,' or 'they.'" It says a bit more, but I could definitely substitute some names for all those "you"s. Maybe you can figure out who?

Anyway, it's been awhile so here's what has happened since Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve -- sleep.

Christmas Day -- Gave stuff, opened stuff, ate breakfast, went and hung out with Johnny and Trey. What "stuff" did I get, you ask? A violin, speaker stands, and money. All extremely useful. Woo!

Day After Christmas -- Went to Helen with Johnny and his girlfriend. We got bored so we came back and decided to go to Helton Creek Falls then The Cliffs. Exciting.

Day After That -- Johnny and girlfriend left. I did nothing all day that I can recall.

Friday, Saturday -- Work. Great fun! ...Right.

Between Then and New Year's Eve -- Nothing, work. Got my ACT scores back. My composite score was a 29, making me eligible for Berry's Presidential scholarship. It also upped my grant by $500 a year if I don't get the scholarship. I hope I get it (who wouldn't?). I have to go down for an interview sometime in February so we'll see! I think I might do my music audition then too if it's possible.

New Year's Eve -- Work. Got invited to a party, but I'm not much of a partier. I didn't feel too grand either. So how did I spend my New Year? Alone, sick, and at home.

New Year's Day -- Started my Shakespeare play, but other than that absolutely nothing.

Day After That -- We were supposta be back in school, but it snowed like an inch overnight. Yay, snowday.

Day After That, Part II -- School is still recovering from the blizzard.

Day After That, Part III -- In the words of my friend Kane, "school got pwned." Then I went to work.

Saturday, the 5th (aka, yesterday) -- The Max Levine Ensemble and Doomhawk came and played in Hayesville. 2 / 3 of TMLE had bronchitis, but it was still one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Doomhawk killed it too. And I got it all recorded. Woo! Oh, and I made them vegan lasagna and they loved it, which is good because it was the first time I'd ever made one! Anyway back to the show, the local bands were pretty crappy, as expected. And one of the members of The Pack got drunk towards the end and started making anti-gay / white power / anti-semantic comments and gestures. Did I lose most of my respect for him? Absolutely. All of the good and some of the bad will be up on YouTube whenever I find some firewire to steal (probably tomorrow night).

Today -- I was gonna go to church, but I wound up sleeping 'til like 1. My dad got home and we went and got Chinese, which was good, but I didn't have much of an appetite; I think I'm getting sick. Hopefully it's not bronchitis! I don't think it is, because the symptoms are similar, but nowhere near as severe. I think / hope it's just a cold. Anyway, the snowdays were nice, but it's back to the ol' grindstone tomorrow. Can't say I'm thrilled in the least, but oh well. Time to go finish The Merchant of Venice. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home