Sunday, December 16, 2007

Each Mile Marker Lies Worse Than the Last...

Well, I'm officially an old man as of today. Wooo for 18-ness. Fun. All I did today was sit around and eat, because that's what my family likes to do. Oh, and I bought a guitar, but not with birthday money or anything (my family also enjoys getting me clothes that I'll never wear and ripping the tags off so I can't return them and thus get birthday money). It's an acoustic electric. My other one burned out so I kind of needed a new one anyway. It was cheap and will probably fall apart soon, but it came with a nice case and sounds ok, so woohoo. But now I'm broke. Un-woohoo. So goes the life of a musician, I suppose.

So, after I picked up my guitar the temperature had dropped to about 50-something and it had been raining for about 2 hours. Well, I had seen this dude trudging through the aforementioned mess on my way up to the store, and when I got out he was right across the road. This is some cold rain and it's gonna start getting dark soon, so what do I do? I call the guy over to my car and tell him to hop in. This was the first hitchhiker I'd ever picked up. Basically, he was a retarded, Spanish-looking man trying to get to California. He said he'd been in the rain for 2 hours when I asked and that I was the first person to pick him up since it started. Anyway, this guy was headed to 64 West, and even though it was out of my way, I took him to Grizzly Bear (the little convenience store / gas station / restaurant / whatever else thing right after the flea market on the way to Murphy). Before he got out I gave him $1.50 (because I didn't have much more) and told him to go grab some coffee or something. It was a little strange picking him up, but I'm glad I did. I just wish he had been a bit more social; I've heard hitchhikers have the best stories. But oh well. That was my good deed for the year. I hope he wasn't a mass murderer on the run or something.

So anyway, I got some Scholarship information from Berry today. They're giving me $9,000, as of now (it can and probably will go up), in academic scholarships and I'm getting like $4,100 from HOPE? I thought they only gave $3,000 for private schools, but I think my dad said that Berry added on to it sometimes? Anyway, that's fun. I need to find some more scholarships to apply for. Yay for free money.

I think I've finally got my Christmas shopping done. Well. Except for my dad's. But I know what I'm getting him. Exciting. Now for wrapping. My favorite.

Well, I got wrangled into playing at the Christmas assembly on Tuesday. I told myself that I wasn't going to participate in it unless some faculty member asked me to, and guess what happened. Mrs. Payne told me she was in dire need of acts and asked me if I would play. Of course, I said yes. I'm gonna play a crappy acoustic cover of "Sleigh Ride." I might play tambourine with my foot too. I dunno yet. I pretty much look like a moron when I do that, but it's not like it's gonna matter because everyone's gonna be laughing at my terrible singing voice already. Hmmm...

Well, I believe I'm gonna start getting ready for bed. I don't have to work tomorrow, but I'm gonna go to church. Then to Young Harris to do some recording with Rollie. Then to Hayesville for a show that's gonna suck (I set it up as a favor for a friend). Then back home. Unless something comes up. But nothing will. Nothing ever does. Because I live a boring life. And none of my friends live here anymore. Save like...2. But one has to work tomorrow. On her birthday. And the other one isn't really fun to hang out with unless there's more people there to start conversation. Because neither of us are very good conversation-starters. Typing like this is weird. Yup. Ok. Bye.

1 Comments:

Blogger stephanie said...

yet again, i marvel at all the things that happen to you...tho i suppose you wouldn't think all your experiences are that great, after all, no one loves everything that happens...still, happy birthday, as i didn't say so before (i don't think so...), and congratulations on the berry thing, too.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home