Monday, November 05, 2007

So Hey, Listen Up Friends, Good News Is Coming, Soon is the End...

...of all the world's troubles and all of it's sin...
--The Rocket Summer

So, the books that I ordered finally came in, after 2 months of constant emails. I've started one of them, and nothing has really happened so far, but I can't seem to put it down. I think it's the writing style, casual, yet elegant. Here's a passage from it:

"When we peel back all the layers of pain and distrust and neurotic surface fears, what lies beneath is that infinite primal fear of being stuck forever with no love. We have built our societies on the pursuit of success: traditionally that's meant beauty for women and power for men, although increasingly they overlap. Daily, we see around us the dismissal of the ugly, the weak, the old, the powerless. So we know that one day it could and can and will be us who are dismissed. Whether we have the tools to fool everyone until we are old, or whether tomorrow someone sees our cracks and rejects us, the fear of isolation because all around us are images confirming that isolation is our destiny. Buy your way out of isolation, out of dismissal and anonymity, say the corporations. Try this product, this shampoo, this razor, this cellphone, this car . . . blah blah blah. Buy in. But the billboards of sexy girls gaining the attentions of powerful men are empty promises of reward when below them an old woman sits alone at a bus stop."

Now wasn't that fun? Anyway, the book is called Off the Map and is about two women hitchhiking / squatting their way through Europe. It's a true story, originally a 'zine, but re-published as a book. It's a short, easy read...Kind of like a personal journal. Anyone who wants to borrow it can; I'm almost done. Oh, and along with my books came several posters. If anyone wants any of them, you can have them...Just tell me what you want. They can be seen here: http://www.crimethinc.com/tools/posters.html

In other news, I wish people would STOP ASKING ME IF I'M GOING TO FALL FORMAL. No, I'm not. Ok? Good. The End. Go kill yourself.

I'm ready for marching band to be over. I've always hated it. Only one game left. EVER. But then I've got at least 3 parades to deal with. Yargh.

College Board takes entirely too long to ELECTRONICALLY send scores. I paid my 10bucks to get more scores sent to Berry a bit over a week ago and they're still not there. I would understand if they were sending them by actual post, but uhhhh they're not; sending things over the interweb should be instant! Ahhhh.

So, this band called Low Red Land played at my house Thursday night. Only 8 people wound up showing up, but it was a lot of fun. I think mainly because the band was so "chill," for lack of a better word (I hate using the word "chill"). I offered to give them some gas money, but they said it was fine, that there were good vibes, and they were totally happy with what they made off merch (about 30bucks). Oh, and this was one of their less common acoustic shows. Fun stuff. I recorded part of the show, and it can be found on my YouTube page along with all sorts of other crap: http://youtube.com/profile?user=DakotaFloyd

I'm already making plans for the last big Blairsville show ever. The only thing that I'm saying right now is that it's gonna be on Saturday, March 11th and will be epic. More details to come.

Hey, guess what. Randy Zimmerman's "almost done" with my car again. I think I'm just gonna go sign the title over to him tomorrow after school.

Hey, guess what else, all sarcasm aside. There's some really good albums coming out soon. Defiance, Ohio's "The Fear, The Fear, The Fear," something new from The Max Levine Ensemble, the US release of Efterklang's "Parades," the imadethismistake / redbear. / Super Famicom / tinyfolk split 7", a new, fullband EP from Matt K., the reissue of Jon Crocker's "The Dust Will Settle," a new full-length as well as live, acoustic EP from Low Red Land, a 7" from The Riot Before, and so on and so forth. Hooray music!

While on the subject of music, An Act of My Own, aka me and Dave, has been selected to be on the latest Skratch Magazine sampler! I found this to be quite awesome, as I actually have a copy of Skratch. Basically, there's gonna be 5,000 of the CDs made and given out for free. Said CDs go into over 75 record stores in California and to over 350 labels (even though we're already signed to a very small indie label out of Florida). What they do is mix big name artists in along with small ones like us. Last year, Bright Eyes was on the CD. Anyway, I thought that was really cool. I've gotta call the guy in charge on his cell phone tomorrow and get all the details worked out. Oh, and someone is designing us a website for free. It's kinda weird...Good things keep happening now that we've taken a really long break, but hey, I'm not complaining! We might actually be recording something soon too (I doubt it).

So anyway, I've been thinking about when I move off for college next year. It's gonna be strange and new, but I think I'm ready for it. I've been in Blairsville for nearly 18 years, and I definitely think a change of scenery is muchly needed. It's not like I'm gonna be totally unknown to everyone when I go to college either; I have friends at all of the colleges I'm looking at, which is just an added bonus.

Aaaaaand, I believe that's it. For now, I bid you adieu.

2 Comments:

Blogger stephanie said...

normally, i'm always excited about going to Fall Formal, but this year i'm not. and i'm not going, either. yeah...i figured a nice, quiet night at home with a book would be better...either that or going into work and having a fun time with the people who work there...i don't even have to get dressed up! now if only we were allowed to listen to music while making our pizzas...oh, and that passage was rather interesting...

11:57 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

The book sounds interesting. Could I borrow it? Anyway, the Cd deal sounds awesome. Wow, I wish I had a better word than awesome right now. I'm rather tired of using slang. Oh well, bit ranty at the end. Good job.
About the fall formal thing, everyone of the female persuasion has worshipped you since they saw you play the guitar on the announcements last year or whenever. Seriously, it's enough to make me gag.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home