Tuesday, September 04, 2007

You've Got Those Tired Eyes All the Time...

Ah, Labor Day Weekend. If you've never had the privilege of doing so, working in a restaurant around holidays pretty much sucks. This weekend was insanely busy. Working with a retarded 50-something-year-old 'Nam vet and Chris Jones is quite the adventure.

So, I went to my grandparents' to see my mom Sunday night and my uncle just so happened to be over there too. My uncle is probably the person in my family I can relate to the most, I think mainly because he knows what it's like to be a broke musician. But anyway, he gave me two passes to Camp Reggae over in, of all places, Turtle Town, Tennessee. The passes were supposed to be 80 bucks a pop, but a friend of his was DJing at the thing and he got them for free. I wound up not going, though. I couldn't find anyone to go with. Usually I'd just say "screw it," go by myself, and scalp the extra ticket, which I frequently find myself doing, but, as you may know, I'm driving my grandparents' car right now while mine is being painted. It's a beast. Something's wrong with it and it gets like...9 miles to the gallon. Ouch. It's not very reliable either. So yea. I wound up not going, which is sort of a bummer, but I'm not really devastated because I'm not a huge reggae fan. But still.

There, however, is good news. My other (dad's side) grandmother appears to be shaping up. She was recently diagnosed with end-stage COPD, which is severe emphysema, and up until this week would just lie down and kind of squeak out words. Now she is sitting up more and speaking with her normal, strong voice. She's still a bit shaky, but the nurses are saying her lungs are clean and it seems as if she is getting better which is always a good sight to see.

I am one tired kid. Have a day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

food service is horrible. oh yeah and sorry if i'm creeping you out by commenting on your posts since we haven't talked that much since about fifth grade but you're one of the three people i actually know on this sight so yeah.... i'm not that sorry. anyway thanks for the update on your concerts and the free batchelor sucks t-shirts, i'm still willing to buy them though, they're that awesome.

6:15 PM  
Blogger kendra? said...

so uh did you and chris have fun?


i slept in on labor day =P

i miss your smartassyness dakota you always made my day brighter when you made fun of me

8:03 PM  
Blogger kendra? said...

haha but think of all the advantages of working with superman! make sure you tell me when you make him cry please =)

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home