Friday, March 10, 2006

...And I Never Learned A Better Lesson Than What I Can't Articulate About A Smile and A Sense of Something Better...

...in what should be desolate and desperate... disenfranchised and disappointing and so distraught...


I don't know why, but I was greatly affected by something today.

Drug search today....big deal, right? Yea...That's what I thought too until I found out that Coach Kummel has apparently been arrested for something found in his car (weed). I honestly don't know why this has had such a big effect on me, but I've been thinking about it all day. I hope he doesn't go to jail or get fired or whatever...He's a really nice person and always means well. Maybe it was all just an honest mistake...Who knows?

Most people think that Coach Kummel is just some dumb guy and has always been like that, but I found out something I didn't know today -- Everyone's favorite World History teacher, Mr. Kummel had a stroke not too long ago, leaving him slightly handicapped in means of thinking and communication. Now I feel like a horrible person for making fun of him for being "dull."

But yea. This is pretty much horrible that he got caught if what I've been hearing is true. If it is, I am definately going to see him in jail or wherever he goes to kinda check up and see how he's doing. I don't know why I care so much, or at all, for that matter...It's just onna those things, I guess? Maybe it's cause I'm used to only seeing kids get in trouble for it...Maybe I just feel sorry for him...I dunno. "Nice guys finish last."


This song goes out to Coach...wherever he is right now:

I was wise, went downwind
I hid all the evidence
but then I saw you walking slowly down the stairs with your friends
soon the dogs caught the smell and the detective found prints
so I kicked, and I fought
did all I could just to resist
my dirty face on the ground a heavy knee in my back
and I'm heading downtown with handcuffs tight around my wrists

I was home free, and headed south
I'd buy an island and relax
now I'm, locked up, and staring out
through metal bars at what I had
it was airplanes and dirty vans
and a confession to fog the air
now your, hooked up with an old friend
all I have this paper a pen and all these
really good reasons to swear

I'm holding onto this spoon
and I'm scratching at the cement
when the guard's not paying attention
I will tunnel through dirt and rock and under barbed wire fence
and I will find my freedom
in the sunlight, my freedom

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I have never talked to Mr. Kummel at a personal level. Just never got the chance. It would be terrible if he became another harmless citizen on the front page for something so silly.
I talk to Mr. Arnt quite often though. He is an extremely nice guy. Today I thought, "Great things will happen to this man." Than again, maybe something already great happened and he's just trying to spread some sort of message.
Teachers are people. How they put up with us, I do not know.
But I do remember last semester, everyday Matt the handicapped kid gave him the sports section of the Atlanta journal constitution and Mr. Kummel gave him 50 cents everyday. And he bought Matt a christmas present. He is an amazing guy I guess.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home